“Many people know about the reading-achievement gap between underrepresented students and the majority. Yet, a very few number of people actually do anything about it. Instead of lamenting the below-grade reading level of students in low-income communities, AmeriCorps allowed me to do something about it.” ~ Xigrid, AmeriCorps tutor
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides opportunities for individuals to serve their country and community through local non-profit agencies. Each year participants of AmeriCorps, called Members, join a local program and provide specific, intensive community services -- such as tutoring students through the Foundation’s Hillsborough Reads program graduation pathway. As a full-time AmeriCorps member, you will serve approximately 40 hours a week.
- Living Allowance for your term of service
- Education award upon successful completion of program
- Training and leadership development opportunities
- Resume-building experience
- A chance to make a difference in the life of a child!
- High School diploma or equivalent, college degree preferred
- Significant community service experience
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- A sincere desire to make a difference
- Interest in working with youth in an elementary school setting
- Reliable transportation and daytime availability is a must!
Learn about the new Graduation Pathway program.
For more information or to request an application, please contact
Jessica Blinkey at (813) 574-0290
or Lindsay Ortega at (813) 574-0268.
The Hillsborough Education Foundation is proud to partner with the Children's Board of Hillsborough County. The Children's Board is a child-centered organization that generates revenue to help children and families in Hillsborough County. The organization invests in more than 100 programs in the community, including the AmeriCorps program at the Hillsborough Education Foundation. For more information, visit www.childrensboard.org. Like the Children's Board on Facebook at http://facebook.com/MyCBHC or follow on Twitter at http://twitter.com/mycbhc.