"My mentor has changed my life by lifting me up, encouraging me to push to new levels, and giving me inspiration to make it through hard times." ~ Nicole
What are the benefits of mentoring? Studies show students with a mentor are:
- 46% more likely to be drug-free
- 27% more likely to be alcohol-free
- 52% more likely to not skip school
- 37% more likely to not skip classes
- More confident of their performance with their schoolwork
Mentoring helps students succeed, achieve, and graduate from school. Mentors help students build a foundation of basic values and challenge them to take responsibility for their actions. As students realize someone cares, school absenteeism decreases and academic performance and self-esteem increase.
- Good listeners
- Caring friends
- Confidence builders
- Positive role models
- Ordinary people
Any responsible adult who is 18 years of age or older and is willing to share time with a student on a consistent basis can be a mentor!